Saturday, February 6, 2016

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day, Saint Valentine's Day, The Feast of Saint Valentine.

Valentine's Day like many holidays is more than about the commercialized cards, chocolates and jewelry. It is nice to receive or give a gift. This day can be made special (as can any other day) through the expression of love, joy and appreciation for your partner and loved ones.

My daughter attends Pre-Kindergarten in the town where we live. A weekend ago we went to Target and she picked out some Valentine's Day cards she thought were cute to give to her classmates at school. Of course, all of them were pink and depicted one or two Pomeranians with a cute little message and perforated slits to insert a pink pencil with Pomeranian puppy faces on them. Thinking some of the boys in her class might feel a bit awkward at receiving a pink pencil we chose some sparkly pencils in a variety of colors to replace them.

My parents were married on Valentine's Day. My grandmother, who will be 88 at the end of the month, saved pictures of their wedding day. Looking at these pictures I recognize some family members, some who have passed. As for my parents, their marriage didn't work.

Many children and adults make sing-song rhymes "Roses are Red, Violet's are Blue..."

This modern cliché Valentine's Day poem can be found in the collection of English nursery rhymes Gammer Gurton's Garland (1784):

The rose is red, the violet's blue,
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou art my love and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast and then I drew,
And Fortune said it shou'd be you

My Fiancee is a kind-hearted soul and loving Father. Wouldn't you know he too went with the commercialized Valentine's Day!
My Valentine's Day Presents: Russel Stovers Chocolates and a Potted Pink Mini Rose.

For our daughter a less expensive Heart filled with chocolates and some Tulips we can plant in our perennial flower beds later.

Do you celebrate Valentine's Day? Share one of your favorite holiday traditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog! I would love to hear from you.