Do you Tweet?
- A tweet can consist of up to 160 characters.
- Retweet or RT: You can tweet another person's tweet in your feed or to your followers.
- DM or Direct Message: You can send a message to other twitter users privately. Depending on a user's setting they may have to follow you, for you to send them a DM.
- Polls: You can tweet a poll, which twitter users/followers can respond to.
- Followers: This is essentially your audience, those who "follow" you.
Have you been to a Twitter Party?
I must admit, it's a lot to take in for first-timers; but, once you've attended once or two it's really fun! There are so many fun conversations in the course of a half an hour or so.
How long are Twitter Parties?
Twitter Parties are on average an hour. Some are a half an hour, while others can be up to 2 hours.
The Advantages of Attending a Twitter Party:
- Sharing knowledge
- Spreading Awareness
- Supporting a Cause
- Learning and becoming more informed
- Making friends
- Gaining followers
- You can win great prizes!
How do I find Twitter Parties?
- Google Twitter Parties
- Search Twitter
- Some blogs have ongoing lists of Twitter Parties and links.
- So Fab Chats hosts chats multiple times a week.
- The Clever Girls Network oftentimes hosts chats during the week.
- The Sits Girls does as well.
- Many parties require you to RSVP, but not all.
- To RSVP it is common to list your Handle (@username), and full link http://twitter.com/username, your Email, sometimes your address, phone number, etc.
- Read the rules: sometimes you must include #sweepstakes in addition to the party hashtag.
- The information is for confirmation and sending out prizes.
- Usually you must follow the Host(s) and/or Sponsors.
Yay! You won!
- Claim your prize.
- Recognize you won and reply to the host or whomever and include the hashtag to claim your prize.
- DM your information if required and/or fill out a google doc with your information to receive your prize.
- Get ready to be inundated with congratulatory tweets!
- Be gracious! Remember to thank the hosts and sponsors.
Now that you know the ins and outs of twitter: Click here & Follow me!